June 23, 2010

Movie Review: The Lovely Bones

It has certainly taken me a while to review this movie mainly because I needed to be rational! I will be completely honest with you and say I cried from the beginning to the end. Two hours of straight crying like someone had killed my pet hamster...if i had one. My nose was raw, not a pretty sight. Why did I cry so much? I think because I knew she was going to die, not a big secret, and I was screaming "kiss him please if you love him don't hold back KISS HIM, YOUR GOING TO DIE MOFO KISS HIM!!!!" Then when she did die everything after that was incredibly heart retching.

But enough of my crying session here is a break down!!

Good Points: beautiful store line, graphically gorgeous, and I think it looked historically accurate (i.e. clothes, slang words, and mannerisms)

Bad Points: they did not really follow the book on some points. In the field they find an elbow but in the movie they make it her hat. The mother also has an affair but they left that out. They leave out that they find a coke bottle with the killer and Susie's prints on it. Linking the man to the crime. The book goes into more detail about her killing. She was raped, murdered, and then dismembered. In the movie you don't find that out at all. Only that he killed her.

I also didn't really like the way she died. You think she got away because she "wished" she got away...but she didn't. So that can be confusing if you don't know the story line.

Many people gave the movie horrid reviews, along the lines of how could someone make murder seem dream like....well psychologically some people will repress horrid acts and replace them with other things. Also she's dead and in the "in-between" let the girl dream what she wants....geez people!!

I gave this movie two reviews. If you don't ever hope to read the book I give it a 4.5 out of 5. If you have read the book, I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

2 comments:

  1. yeah..i've heard that the movie left out vital details. There is no way i would be able to handle the book (probably not the movie either)as it brings up some stuff that is just waaay too close to home. Also it will probably make me more overprotective and paranoid about my daughter than i already am :S There are some real shitholes in this world.
    I think i need my movies to be an escape, so i should probably leave this one alone! Also, your poor nosie! Mine has been red and gross from this cold i am JUST getting over now, so if i saw this film i just wouldn't have a nose left by the time it finished!!
    Get some pawpaw ointment onto that nose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of pawpaw ointment but it sounds like it would work!!! :D

    and yeah many details were left out and I really think if someone didn't know the story line they would be slightly lost...

    ReplyDelete