September 25, 2010

The Name of the Wind: Book Review

I was a bit hesitant to read this after someone recommended it to me, but I am glad they did. Rothfuss is an excellent fantasy writer, one I would dare say to rival Tolkien. Kvothe, the protagonist, is spell binding to say the least. Though he might not have obtained his “hero” title in a traditional way he certainly earned it. It was refreshing to read a story with characters that fight with intelligence more so over brute strength and having a male hero not think he is god’s gift to women wasn’t bad either.

High Points:
Unique characters
Interesting story
Well worded

Low Points:
There were a few winded parts, some might find it interested to read a full page about how to ride a horse properly….I may have skimmed that page…cough cough.

I thought the cut off, ending, was very abrupt. But at the same time it just made me want the next book to be out all the quicker.

The Name of the Wind is the first installment in the King Killer Chronicles the next is The Wise Man’s Fear. It is set to come out in March 2011.

5 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. sounds interesting. I like your sentence that the character did thing he was god's gift to woman!!

    ReplyDelete